Question: Briefly, describe the major types of errors?
Types of Errors
There are two major types of errors.
- Random error
- Systematic error
Random error. Random error is said to occur when repeated measurements of the quantity, give different values under the same conditions.
- Reasons of occurrence:
It is due to some unknown causes.
- Elimination of error:
Repeating the measurement several times and taking an average can reduce the effect of random errors.
Systematic error. Systematic error refers to an effect that influences all measurements of a particular quantity equally it produces a consistent difference in readings
- Reason of occurrence’
It occurs to some definite rule. It may occur due to zero error Of instruments, poor calibration of instruments or incorrect markings etc.
- Elimination of error
Systematic error can be reduced by comparing the instruments with another which is known to be more accurate Thus for systematic error a correction factor can be applied
For more question of this chapter of Measurements Click the desired question below
- What is science? In how many branches the knowledge of science is divided? Define each branch of science
- Enumerate and define main frontiers of fundamental science?
- What is Physics, define? Also highlight the Areas that are dealt by Physics?
- Write a note on the importance of Physics?
- Write a note on Physical Quantities, explaining their categories and steps to measure?
- Explain International System of Units
- Explain Scientific Notation and highlight the Convention for Indicating the Units?
- Question: Why Errors and uncertainties occur during measurement?